Wood shingles are unique especially in an area where everybody is installing asphalt roofing. The rustic natural wood shingles are going to add an artistic value to your home which is going to increase its financial value. Nevertheless, before you get all excited about installing a wooden roof there are a few things that you need to understand.
When it comes time for a complete roof replacement, cedar wood is the most popular type of wood used in roofing because it is extremely durable. However, wood doesn’t work for every home or homeowner. Shingles and shakes are a bit different. Shakes are rough and more uneven but they both look great especially in a natural environment. Here are the pros and cons of wood roofs.
Wood has a Lot of Benefits:
- Wood is energy efficient. It is a good insulator and will keep the warmth inside your house during the winter season. It will also reflect the heat during the hot season. This means that it will help you save on the energy bill to keep your house cool.
- Wood is more durable than asphalt. It is going to withstand a harsh hail storm that the asphalt will not endure.
- It is going to increase the aesthetic value of your home. The natural look and feel of wood are exceptional compared to the flat asphalt shingles. It is also going to increase the resale value of your home by making it more favorable for buyers.
- Wood roofing is more durable than asphalt. With proper roof maintenance, it can last for half a century.
- Wood is an environmentally-friendly option. Wood roofing is made of recyclable materials and will help you decrease your carbon footprint. Less energy is used to manufacture and install wood roofing than other materials like asphalt or metal.
Nevertheless, there are a few drawbacks that you need to consider if you are going to install wood roofing.
Wood has Several Cons:
- Cost is the main issue to consider if you are planning to install wood shingles or shakes. Wood is more expensive than asphalt although it is more durable. Moreover, you need to hire a real expert to install wood roofing.
- Wood roofs require more maintenance. Wood needs to breathe. This means that you should remove leaves, debris and other objects that can prevent the wood from breathing. You should also remove ice and hail before the moisture penetrates through the wood and damage it in the long run.
- Moisture is bad for your wood roof. This is why you need to make sure that you have access to the sun to keep it dry. If your roof can’t get exposed to the sun, it will be subject to the growth of mold and mildew.
Most of these problems can be easily overcome when you hire the right contractor to install your wood roof. An experienced roofer will tell you if the wood is the right choice for your home and will give you an idea about the proper and adequate insulation. Make sure that you do enough research to pick the right man for the job.